Saturday, June 22, 2019

It's Time... It's Time... It's Dragon Time!

(Author's Note: For those that missed it, the Dragon Awards are a fan based science fiction award show. They're the best of the year as decided by the people who love the genre. Basically,  they're what the Hugo Awards used to claim to be before they admitted that they were only for the people who attend Worldcon. The Dragons are also part of a con (in this case DragonCon) but there is no requirement to buy a membership to vote. If you love Science Fiction and Fantasy (and otherwise, why would you be here?) you should nominate and eventually vote.)

Oops,

I just realized this was probably still earlier than it should have been, but for some reason I thought the deadline was July first when it's actually the nineteenth. Oh well. Hopefully, I don't read anything worth nominating in the next few weeks. Or, hopefully I do? I mean, I love a good book but like, I don't want to miss anything...

Ya know?

At any rate...

Is anyone interested in seeing what I nominated for the Dragon Awards this year?


Well, here you go then:


I'm thinking that's not really good enough, so let me help you out with why I picked what I did.

Uncompromising Honor is the culmination of a series of books that I, as a relative newcomer, have only been following for about fifteen years. It was amazing. It was everything I hoped it would be. And, although it is the end of the official "main line" series, it's not necessarily the end of Honor Harrington. I loved this book.

My review for Come, Seeling Night is coming soon. I sat down to write that review and then ended up writing this. Paxton Locke is a bad man. This thing cooks. I'll be sharing my thoughts in the next day or two.

The Mask Shop of Dr. Blaack is a fun little Halloween story. It's got suspense and the beginnings of romance. I need to get my daughter to read this.

Aries' Red Sky was everything I love in a Mil SF: It was realistic. It was dark. It was gritty. And most importantly, it showed the way warriors think and that they don't all have the same beliefs and values. James Young is a vet and it showed when he wrote this book.

The World Asunder was amazing. It turned a character I had hated into a character I loved. The historical research that went into this was intense. I loved it.

I don't read a whole lot of horror, but I've read everything in Declan Finn's Saint Tommy NYPD series so far because it's that damn good. (Okay, so I haven't finished Crusader yet, but I just got it.) My pick was Hellspawn because it's the best of the bunch, and I'm not even a "The First One is Always the Best One" nerd. I promise.

Deadworld: Requiem for the World is good old fashioned ass-kickery with a plot. It's a reboot and I'm not usually a fan but this one is good enough to make an exception.

Good Omens: I haven't read the book, but I love the show. I haven't done a review because lazy.

Mortal Engines didn't do as well at the box office as it should have because there just aren't that many steampunk fans. It's still the best SF/F movie I've seen this year. If you love steampunk SEE THIS MOVIE. If you're curious about Steampunk, SEE THIS MOVIE. I loved this flick. For the record, I have yet to see Endgame and my GF is probably gonna kick my ass for not nominating it.

I'm hoping that World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth is eligible since it's an expansion and not an entirely new game. The new patch looks awesome. I know I never took time to review it but that's because I was too busy playing it.

In looking over my picks, it comes to my attention that I need to read some new comics. I've done some comic reading, but even the stuff I bought at the comic con from the guy who wrote it is copyright 2016. So it's time to get to my LCS.

I've been doing a lot of tabletop gaming, but all of that is stuff that's too old to nominate and I guess I just don't play enough games on my phone. Actually, that may be a good thing. I've got enough things to eat up my time.

So there's my list for the year. What does your's look like? I'll be waiting for the cheers, jeers, and thrown crockery. Leave your comments below.

Some of the products listed above are available at the links below:




 




No comments:

Post a Comment