Thursday, June 6, 2019

Declan Finn's City of Shadows



I'm looking at a map right now. It's a map of the Boroughs of New York. I'm searching hard. I've looked to the north, south, east and west. I even checked the back of my computer monitor. No matter how hard I look or which pair of reading glasses my old ass wears, I can't seem to find London anywhere. And since Declan Finn's latest novel is City of Shadows, Saint Tommy NYPD Book 4 I find myself confused. Uhh.. Yeah. London does not equal New York.

That's not to say that it's a bad novel. Hell, I enjoyed it. I mean it even kind of makes sense that Detective Tommy Nolan is across an ocean because he was ordered there by the Vatican. Saints are, by definition, part of the church. London makes a good backdrop, it's just not New York. Maybe I'm really seriously confused here. Maybe I'm just joshing you by pretending to be confused. I guess we'll never know what the truth is.

Either way, St. Tommy is up to his neck in trouble this time around. Things are not well in the British capital and our hero smells a rat. Or maybe something worse. What smells worse that a rat? Oh, yeah. London. London smells worse than a rat. Seriously, Tommy thinks it stinks. Oh, and without giving too much away, the title of the book fits. For the purposes of the novel, London really is a City of Shadows.

The honorable Detective Nolan once again finds himself in more trouble than anyone this side (or maybe the other side) of a Dan Brown novel. There is a lot going on here and none of it is good if you're on the side of right and decency. That's what Tommy is for though. He fixes wrong stuff with the use of powers provided by God and sometimes a bit of temporal firepower. Oh, and maybe just a smidge of good, old-fashioned asskickery, bare knuckle style. Seriously. Nobody mess with the saint. He will very kindly and with the blessing of God reduce you to a non-obstacle.

He's good at it too, and Finn does his usual awesome job of describing in painful detail exactly how it happens. When things start to happen, they really happen. The action is logical and well paced. Things happen the way they should given the fact that Tommy has the abilities that he has been granted by God. A lot of this is based on Catholic belief and abilities displayed by saints in the past, so there is some logic to it.

Interestingly, Finn also seems to get that weaponry is neither good nor evil but can be used as a tool for either. I don't want to give too much up here but there is a very important object in City of Shadows that starts out perceived as evil. It may or may not end up that way. There is a point made though. I just wish that uhh...

Never mind.

When one is backed by God, one must be opposed by Satan. That's almost like a law of nature. Finn does a good job of giving his villains a number of satanically provided powers. They don't always understand precisely what the nature of their powers is, but that makes sense as well. Satan is known as the Great Deceiver for a reason. Most of the villains believe in what they're fighting for. That makes sense as well. It's one of my favorite things to see in a novel, because we're all the hero of our own story. They think they're doing the right thing.

And the guy who doesn't? He is the worst villain. He freely admits that he is in the fight only for what it can gain him personally. That also makes sense. It is often said that absolute power corrupts absolutely. It does. I, however, would argue that the pursuit of absolute power is even more corrupting. Finn's ultimate villain is that guy. He's the one who chases what he wants regardless of its cost to others. He is what is truly wrong with the world and its desires. In short, he's a damn good villain.
I've review a lot of Finn's work here, probably more than anyone else's. There is a reason for that: It's because no matter how good his characters are (like St. Tommy) or how evil they are (as the one in City of Shadows) they always seem to be human. Even saints aren't perfect. Even villains think they're doing the right thing. People react the way they do because they have motivations and they react accordingly. Finn doesn't forget this.



Of course, the threats in City of Shadows are both manifold and insidious. Finn features real world problems in the work. I like that. Nothing in this world works one hundred percent the way it was intended to and Finn points out some of those errors. He does not see fit to play nice either. I approve. The British government has done several things in recent years that have been damaging to their citizens. At least on this side of the Atlantic we're free to point that out. Good for him.
I would be careful of your timing while reading City of Shadows. I was having a slow day at work one day (I'm a Lyft driver) and I was parked in a parking lot reading the book on my phone because why not when my phone went off. I got stopped at a rather suspenseful part of the novel. I'm a afraid I may have found myself more interested in completing the ride and reading the next little bit than I was in continuing on with my shift afterward. This is a threat posed by every good book, but with Finn it's a stronger compulsion than with most. Don't let that stop you though. If you're not looking to get lost in a book why would you read one anyway? This one is worth your time and money. Go get it.



Bottom Line: 4.75 out of 5 Stolen Artifacts



City of Shadows
Declan Finn
Silver Empire, 2019


City of Shadows is available for purchase at the following link:






No comments:

Post a Comment