Saturday, August 10, 2019

My Dragon Awards Ballot




I did my ballot on my phone. The pics above are actual screen caps. You can agree or disagree with how I voted, but you can't deny the fact that I was transparent with my votes.

So why did I vote how I voted?

I thought you'd never ask!

Best SF Novel: A Star Wheeled Sky by Brad Torgersen Awesome book. I feel bad about not reviewing it,but I only have so much time and I have to sleep sometime.

Best Fantasy Novel: House of Assassins by Larry Correia: One of a very few fantasy novels set outside of a pseudo-European setting and a whole lot of fun. Sorry I didn't review this one as well. I love Larry Correia, but I didn't really think he needed the help.

Best YA SF/F Novel: (or something similar. I cut off the title, but these are all YA books) I hadn't read any of them. I can't vote in a category where I haven't read any of them.

 Best Military Science Fiction or Fantasy Novel: Uncompromising Honor by David Weber I'm a little bitter here. Uncompromising Honor was my pick for Best SF novel. It should be in the bigger category. Having said as much, if it's the Best SF novel in my opinion, it's definitely better than any Mil SF titles I've read this year. See my review here.

Best Alternate History Novel: The World Asunder by Kacey Ezell This was my nominee. It's freaking awesome. It features a massively important part of history that is awesome ignored. It's entertaining as hell. It made me spit Mountain Dew all over my phone (I read it on Kindle). BUY THIS BOOK. READ THIS BOOK. VOTE FOR THIS BOOK. Do it all after you read my review though. It's posted here. 

Best Media Tie in Novel: The Replicant War by Chris Kennedy. Awesome book. I didn't realize that this was actually a media tie in, but whatever. It rocks.


Best Science Fiction/Fantasy Movie: Avengers: Endgame. The feels man, the feels!

Best Science Fiction or Fantasy PC/Console Game: World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth. I haven't been playing since my guild server shifted and I didn't have the money to follow, but this game is awesome, especially once you get past the fact that the pyramid the real players use as their home city (IE the Horde) is a pyramid that's hard to navigate.

Best Horror Novel: Zombie Airman by David Guenther: Lots of cool characters. Lots of good action scenes. I loved this book. See my review here.

Best Comic Book/Graphic Novel: I didn't vote Apparently, I need to get updated on my comics. Nothing I read this year was eligible for comics and the graphic novel I nominated didn't make the ballot. *SIGH* I'll get to work.

Best Science Fiction or Fantasy TV Series: Good Omens I haven't read the book, but something about an angel and a devil working together to bring about the apocalypse just tickles my fantasy. Crowley is an amazing character and Azriphael is a delightfully naive individual.

Best Science Fiction or Fantasy Board Game/Miniatures Game/Cell Phone App: (or something similar. I hacked off a title again.) I didn't vote. I didn't play any of these games.

I don't want to make one of the books that I voted for look bad, but I'll state here for the record that I'm bitter that one of my nominees, which was the best book in its category that I've ever read hands down, didn't make the ballot. If the author is out there reading this: I tried bro. I really did. Maybe next year?

*SIGH*

It happens. I should be used to it by now. I supposed I'll get over myself eventually.

So tell me what you think. What did I get right? What did I get wrong? Why are you throwing tomatoes at me? There is plenty of room for comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment