Wednesday, July 24, 2019

The New Picard Trailer is Here!





Ok, everybody...

Can I make a confession?

I've uhh...

Never seen a single episode of Star Trek: Discovery

The reasons are simple: I don't bootleg and I don't have CBS All Access. I didn't want to get it for one show that, from what I've heard, is only mediocre.

That might be changing though and it's all because of that trailer.

Listen, I'm a fan of ST:TNG. I have been since "Encounter at Farpoint" debuted on my local TV station. Seriously, if you ever see me, shake my hand and ask me about the night ST:TNG debuted in Detroit. It's a tale better told in person. I'll be sure to let you in on one of the most humorous moments of my life.

Oh, yeah, the subject of the blog post...


I forget about that sometimes. I can be easily distracted by my mind, which travels at the speed of ligh...

Uh soun...

At the speed of something that travels fast, anyway.

So, yeah, I'm geeked.

I like seeing Sir Patrick back in a Star Trek show because I'm an unabashed fanboi. Always have been, always will be. He's an awesome actor and there is literally no television universe with more history than Star Trek. None. Fight me.

There is also none that I have more history with personally. I've been a fan for literally as long as I can remember. My dad raised me watching ST:TOS from before I could walk. He actually told me that I watched on episode with him the day they brought me home from the hospital. (Warning: This story may be bullshit. My father talked a lot of junk and I have no clear recollection of the event, having been like three or four days old at best.) At any rate, my first four friends were Mike from around the block, Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock and Dr. McCoy.

I get nervous about the legacy of a show like Star Trek because it's so near and dear to my heart. I can't honestly declare ST:PIC to be a good continuation of that legacy because I haven't seen a single episode, but I will say this much: I feel confident that something good is coming. It feels weird saying that because in general I'm not a fan of the fact that studios keep bringing back things that have been gone for decades. I'll make an exception here though, because this looks sweet.

I'm on the fence about reviving Data. Listen, I love the character and Brent Spiner is an awesome actor, but let's face it: Data is an android. He doesn't age. Brent Spiner is an actual actor and he's thirty plus years older than he was when he first played the part. He doesn't look the same anymore.

In spite of that though, I find myself intrigued about how and why Picard brings Data back. And seeing Seven of Nine come back is awesome. I've always loved that character and the fact that Jeri Ryan is that attractive and I was a teenage boy when she first appeared in ST:VOY has nothing to d...

>GAG<

Ok, whatever. Listen, Seven's first character arc and trying to find her humanity is one of the most entertaining and intriguing things I've ever watched/read in my entire life. Jeri Ryan is an amazing actress and I'm a fan. I'm looking forward to seeing her in Star Trek again as well. Unlike Data, Seven is a human being so she actually ages.

Not that Jeri Ryan looks a whole lot older than she did in ST:VOY. Hollywood people just don't seem to age at the same rate the rest of us do. But still, she doesn't look like she's barely out of high school like she used to.

And listen, with the exception of the last episode of ST:ENT, I'm a huge fan of mixing cast between shows. Seeing O-Brien and Worf on ST:DS9 was awesome, but so was seeing Picard in the first episode. Who can forget seeing Spock, Scotty and McCoy on ST:TNG? That was amazeballs. All I ask is that it makes sense story-wise and I see no reason why it wouldn't at this point. I do reserve the right to change my mind later, but if Picard is bringing back Data they way it shows in the trailer, I'm guessing he has a reason to do so.

I want to be cautiously optimistic but I'm leaning heavily on being in Fanboi Heaven right now. What could be better than seeing the right person (IE the original actor) come back to play one of your favorite characters of all time? If they do right by the character (and I trust Patrick Stewart to tell them all to place their scripts in their anal orifi if they don't) this is going to be awesome.

Hey, I just though of something...

Are they going to have a couple of recovered Borg references between Seven and Locutus? If they do it right that could be amazeballs and it's the kind of thing that an introspective dude like Picard would do. He's a caring guy too, so I can totally see a sympathetic talk between the two, maybe like horror of the experience combined with a weird nostalgia, especially on Seven's part.

Oh God, now I'm the guy who gives the writer ideas. Somebody save me from myself.

But it would make a great moment though, right? One for the ages?

Ok, I'll stop.

And I'm out. Let me know what you're thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment