Thursday, July 25, 2019

Star Trek: Exploring New Worlds at the Henry Ford Museum


Having just come off a particularly stressful time in my life, and with more stress ahead,two of my nearest and dearest decided that it would be a good idea to take the Star Trek geek (I thought about claiming to be the Original Star Trek Geek but that title clearly belongs to someone older than me) like me to see some really cool Star Trek stuff at America's coolest historical attraction: The Henry Ford, specifically the museum. What can I say. They were right.

So thanks to my Brothers in Geekdom and co-members of The Royal Manticoran Navy, Tom Hathaway and David Levi (David is also a member of The Mercenary Guild with me). You gave me exactly what I needed exactly when I needed it. I had a blast. Of course, I'm going to leave out the part where David and Tom had both been to the exhibit already and took me just because they knew I'd love it because I'd hate to make them look sappy in public. That's just not my style.

I uploaded a bunch of my favorite pics (I took more than this but I didn't want to be here all night writing. Feel free to just scroll down and look if you so desire, or you can stop and read what I write in between if you choose. It's up to you. Oh, and for the record, if this looks like it was put together by someone who sucks at web design, that's simply because it was. There's a reason I have a blog with no page. It's because I don't have the skills to put a page together.




Klingons rock! I've always wanted to rain with a bat'leth. Seriously those things just look badass. Some people think they're stupid but if used properly, it could function as both a sword and shield and it has multiple points to attack with.


This is a mock up of the soundstage where Star Trek: The Original Series was filmed. It's pretty amazing that they actually had it laid out in a manner that looks similar to the way it would actually have been arranged if the Enterprise NCC-1701 had really existed.


A close up of the bridge, because it's the bridge. That's where most of the shipboard action took place and I always pictured myself seated at the science center here. I wanted to be Spock as a kid.


Can you say NCC-1701-D boys and girls? I knew you could. Still the best of the Star Trek shows. Fight me.



Check Hugh out! Go start the resistance bro!



Check me out! I was at the exhibit because I needed a regen cycle. I'm glad I got one.




Front and back shots because I could. What can I say? Star Trek always had amazing stories. That's what made it great. That much having been said, you can't love the show and not love the ships. That's where the action took place. I mean, you can have a great show without star ships, but you can't have Star Trek without the star ships. It just wouldn't be Star Trek.





Look out! Romulans! I've always loved to hate those guys. They made great villains, mainly because they were so arrogant and sneaky. They may be my favorite of all of the villain races in Trek. Seriously.


Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is my second favorite Trek series. It was the first one to really develop ongoing story lines and for most of its run stay in one place. The Dominion War was amazeballs. The last episode wasn't as upbeat as I expected, but it was probably better being melancholy than it would have been with the triumphalist conclusion that I was expecting.


That's David trying to decide who played the better Khan: Ricardo Montalban or Bumblebee Cracklesnap. HINT TO DAVID: The original is always better than the reboot.


As a wee little Jimbo, I got picked on a lot. I wanted to be Spock so I could logic that garbage away and not feel it. As I got older and ST:TNG became a thing, I switched to wanting to be Data for pretty much the same reason, only he was an android and didn't have to sleep. I was ten years old at the time and the though of never having to get sent to bed was WAY TOO COOL.


The Excelsior. I've always wondered if Stan Lee provided the inspiration for naming this ship. Of course, I've always wanted to open up the throttles and travel at transwarp speeds as well. I guess this is the closest I'll ever get. It really did look cool though.


The Gorn! This thing was terrifying at the age of four. Now it's straight nostalgia though. This costume was used in one of the first ST:TOS episodes I remember seeing.



Tom looking at the McCoy costume. I liked this pic. Seriously, if you even want to know anything about how a costume was made, Tom is your guy. I just had to get a pic because it was McCoy, and I'm a McCoy and well...

You get it, right?




Speaking of being a McCoy, I love this quote. It fits me. And it's not like being a McCoy is a bad thing. We're a family with a lot of history and it's not like I was the one who shot all those Hatfields. I wasn't even born yet, even if my daughters might tell you that I was.

Bottom Line: 5.0 out of 5 Warp Cores

Some Star Trek related items are available at the following links:














No comments:

Post a Comment