Thursday, February 7, 2019

Cedar Sanderson's Lab Gremlins

(Author's Note: Back when Jimbos' Awesome Science Fiction and Fantasy Reviews first started I wasn't sure if I had what it took to do a blog like this. I mean, I had confidence in my ability to put a sentence together and I know how much I love SF/F but I wasn't sure if I could make it work. The first author to send me a second book to review was Cedar Sanderson. That was a huge boost to my confidence at a time when I really needed it. So I'd like to take a chance, as part of my 199th review to say thanks. (I have something planned for my 200th post and that will be coming soon.) There are a lot of authors out there who have gotten their books reviewed since because that gave me the belief in my self to continue. You rock. Also, while I really did enjoy the book and I'd like to think I was completely objective, I'll let the reader be the judge of that.)



What would you do if your boss told you there was a gremlin in your office? I know what I'd do. I'd look for the thing right between the aluminum magnet and the blinker fluid. Totes. I'm guessing that our hero, Steven, is slightly less credulous than me because he didn't believe in them. I can't say I blame him. I mean, Gremlins is a funny Eighties movie, right? That's all there is to it. Or is it?  As Steven is forced to learn to his chagrin, in the world of Lab Gremlins the little monsters actually exist.

I've always been a fan of what I think I heard someone else (don't ask me who because I sure don't remember.) refer to as Hidden World Fiction. Basically, there are things that most of us never know about... And that other people work their entire lives to keep hidden and protect us from. I enjoy this type of thing because I'd like to think that, out there somewhere, there just might be something fantastic that I just might be able to glimpse once, if I'm lucky...

And yeah, I know it's never going to happen, but it would be pretty awesome if it did, right? Who among us hasn't thought of taking a ride on a pegasus or slaying a foul demon in full sight of God, everybody and that one girl we're trying to impress because once I've covered myself in awesome she'll finally...

*AHEM*

Sorry, I got a bit carried away there.

So, I like this Steven kid. And I can call him a kid because he's fresh out of college and so are the children of the people I went to school with. At any rate, he's hard working, ambitious and inquisitive. He doesn't necessarily have the most exciting job at the beginning of the story but he's got two degrees and a big brain. Seriously, I'd have a drink with this guy.

He's also nobody's fool. I wonder if that kind of trait could get you in trouble in a Hidden World novel? I bet you'd find out if you bought the book. It's worth the time and the money. Seriously. I loved this thing and I went through it in like an hour.  It's not a very long work, but it's a very good one and that makes up for its brevity. Also, do you wanna know a secret?

I mean, really wanna know?

I think there might be a sequel or six hundred coming for this book. It hasn't been announced or guaranteed, but I have reason to believe that Steven will be back. I'm waiting (im)patiently. It's not like I'd actually bother an author about something like that. Just ask Elise Hyatt and I've never bothered her (at all today) about a sequel. I won't bother Cedar (at all today) either. Oh, by the way. I'm writing this on Wednesday and posting it on Thursday, so by the time you read this I'll be free to pester whoever the hell I want to. Ain't life grand?

And the cool thing about a book like Lab Gremlins is precisely that we don't know what all is out there. If a series were to sprout from this thing it would be pretty much boundless in what it could do or introduce. With Steven being a scientist he could also easily get called in for his expertise and/or opinion on just about anything. What I'm saying is that there is a buttload of potential here if Sanderson decides that she wants to continue the journey and take the rest of us with her. Oh, and I'm in if/when the sequel hits.

Seriously, there is enough suspense here for a novel twice this size. It's also my favorite type of tension. Don't get me wrong. I'm all about some military fiction with a well defined enemy. I love some religious drama with a villain we can all know and hate. Trust me, the only person in fiction I hate worse than Voldemort is Delores Umbridge. But there is something about the protagonist not knowing what they're getting themselves into that makes it even better. I like not knowing what's going to happen next. It adds a lot to the experience for the reader.

And listen, I really did like the Gremlins movies, but I'm happy to say that the monsters in Lab Gremlins are original creations of Mrs. Sanderson and not carbon copies. As a matter of fact, they're not even really all that close. (I know I don't do spoilers and this IS a work of Hidden World Fiction, but the name of the book is Lab Gremlins. You had to know they were part of it. So get over yourselves and stop being offended. Also, where did you get that Gizmo toy? I want one.)

Those of you who work in labs and need an absolutely authentic experience will be relieved to know that Sanderson works in one as well. She uses the names of a bunch of paraphernelia that I didn't even recognize but apparently aren't all that esoteric if you work in or around labs. I just don't so I had to ask some people. I'm assured that it's all legit though.  I did work with petri dishes in high school, so I know that's good to go.  Other than that, I'll have to trust my sources but they're legit so no worries.

Bottom Line: 4.75 out of 5 Broken Traps

Oh, and I never do this, but I'm in the mood to be magnanimous so...

Cedar has a website which features her personal blog, more about her writing and also some of the artwork that she makes and sells. I have personally purchased her chainmaille (don't look at me, she's the one who spells it that way) dragons for myself and my daughters as well as my girlfriend and we all love them. The girls really got a kick out of the fairy dust she included on the end of the tail of their's and mine is GREEN LANTERN!! Seriously, I love that comic.The animated movies are good too. It's too bad the live action movie never happened. (That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.) She also painted a picture for my girlfriend that I commissioned as a Valentine's Day gift. She got it yesterday and we both live it.

Lab Gremlins
Cedar Sanderson
Self Published, 2017

Lab Gremlins is available for purchase at the following link:

1 comment:

  1. Lab gremlins is one of cedars best works. Though the secondary character needs more screen time.

    ReplyDelete