Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Announcing a New Fan Experience

Just a few days ago, Chris Kennedy, owner of Chris Kennedy Publishing and author of several novels announced that there would be a new fan organization coming down the road. It is to be set up by some fans, led by the fearless and indomitable Tom Coonradt. It will be open and free and inclusive. It will exist "in an effort to enhance the Fan experience , allow access through a medium for members to interact with authos." (that's a quote from Tom himself) I'm excited. There is nothing quite like being with fellow fans and being able to talk about what I do and what I like with someone else who gets the references. (Seriously, my ex-wife is a civilian who works for the Department of Defense. She told me she had to take a class in Acquisition. I looked at her and said, "What are you, a Ferengi?" I can still hear the silence of her response echoing in my soul.)

As such, it is now my honor and duty to inform all of you that

The Mercenary Guild: The Official Four Horsemen Universe Fan Club

is now forming.

Oh, and did you catch that part about "duty?" Guess who got picked to run their Public Affairs Officer, with a Guild rank of Major? That would be me, your ever-loving friendly neighborhood blogger. So yes, you may now refer to me as Major Jimbo. (Although I have often been referred to as a major something else as well, but that's beside the point.)  The man who brought you reviews of books like Cartwright's CavaliersAsbaran Solutions and A Fistful of Credits now gets to write for the official fan club. It's fitting too, because I am, indeed a fan. I'm also excited.

Look, I am, and will remain, a member of The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association. I love the books and the people I've met through that group. They're awesome and I plan doing some stuff for that group later today. I'm really excited about where the Mercenary Guild is going though, and I'm really happy to get a chance to get the chance to say that I was part of the thing since the beginning.

Seriously, I really do mean the beginning.

I've been told that recruiting will start at Fantasci in Durham, North Carolina from March 22-24, 2019. I'm sad to say that I won't be there because life, but I know that both the club and the Four Horsemen authors will be out full force. I hear tell that there will be some serious cosplaying going on and I can't wait to see some pics. Oh, and I'm an officer, so I can order someone to send me some pics. Or sumfin'. I dunno. I'll  probably have to be and plead, but I WILL see some pics if it kills me. Plus, I'll need them for the Mercenary Guild blog so some kind individual will see to it that I get some. I hope. Especially since there will be both a dinner and a meet and greet with the authors.

I'm really geeked on a personal level too. I once listened to a broadcast on a local sports radio station. (Bear with me here. I know we're not all fans of the sportsball.) They were interviewing the announcer for the Detroit Lions. After the interview was over, the talk show host remarked, "Can you imagine how cool it would be to be the official voice of a sports team? It was a good point. I don't have to imagine anymore. I'm the official voice of The Mercenary Guild.

The difference being that we're going to be much better at what we do than the Lions. I'm certain of it. We've got a good staff in place already and when we get things all worked out you're going to love what you see.

I don't have a whole lot of details to share with you guys, because we're still working a lot of them out. I'm pretty sure we got something worked out last night, but it wasn't my bailiwick and I didn't get to see the details anyway, so I can't really share them with you. What I can tell you is that we're working hard to make this enjoyable.

What I can also tell you is that we're doing things the right way. We're paying attention to the differences in universes here. The Mercenary Guild is already showing signs of featuring the feel of free-wheeling mercenary units. It's not going to be a one size fits all kind of thing and I love that. Merc units are not units in the regular military and it's already starting to look like the individual chapters will have the ability to design their unit to give it their own personal twist. This is going to be a club where you can really be you.

So fire it up mercs! Lemme see your war face! Or maybe that should be your party face because no-one celebrates a big win like a gang of mercs. And believe me, this is going to be one hundred percent, pure, unadulterated win. I just can't wait to see how it all turns out.

Who's coming with me?

1 comment:

  1. New Fan Organization...new data? Thanks for the report. Meanwhile, note the old Fan Organization, the National Fantasy Fan Federation, founded 1941. Founders included EE Smith and Forey Ackerman.

    ReplyDelete