Sunday, December 3, 2023

Lionsgate's The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes


(Author's note: Yes, I reviewed the book already. You can read that review here.)

Yes, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes is a Lionsgate film, but Suzanne Collins is the real genius here. I have read the book twice and now seen the movie and I still can't quite wrap my mind around the fact that she managed to take a complete asshole villain (and if you never wanted to cut President Snow's heart out with a rusty spoon you've never read/seen the original Hunger Games trilogy.) and turn him into a protagonist that truly resonates with her audience. I won't spend too much time on that because I've done that review, but I still marvel at it. Seriously, Collins deserves some kind of major award for that. 

Of course, there's plenty of action and violence. Young "Corio" is the driving force behind building the Games and continuing them into the future. There is political intrigue. There is friendship, brotherhood, and betrayal. There is an awful lot to this story and it's woven so skillfully that you almost feel like you're living in the world that Collins has created and Lionsgate has replicated. 

HAVING SUMMARIZED MY LAST REVIEW...

I was immediately struck by the differences in "feel" between Ballad and the first four movies. Ballad is much grittier, much grimier, and much darker than the others, and I mean darker in the literal sense of how much lighting they probably had on set. My first impression when the movie came up was one word; "noir." Don't get me wrong. It was in full color, but it had that darkness to it. Even later in the movie when the sets are better lit something about the way it looks (it might be a filter. I took a class called Intro to Film, but I don't remember going over how filters work.) is just less bright and glittery.

I think that's the point though. This is not the Panem of Katniss Everdeen. Panem, in The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes is a nation only ten years removed from a massive civil war that ripped the whole country apart and ended with the Capitol once again holding dominion over its vassal Districts. This is  a world where things haven't been put back together yet. It's a world where the to-be-hated president is a young man from a once-great family. It's a world where The Hunger Games are nowhere near what they one day will be and it looks it.

And seriously, I want to know who designed these sets. Listen folks, I don't watch award shows. I'd rather spend my time watching movies than watching movie stars tell each other how great they are. I'd rather listen to music than watch musicians pat each other on the back. It's weird because they do deserve to be recognized for their efforts and I'm not trying to hate but it's just not my thing. That much having been said; Is there an Oscar for set design? Seriously? If there is, it should go to the people who made Ballad. I'm being one hundred percent sincere here. 

The Capitol goes from grungy to well..

Better.  Not what it will be but not so war torn either. The classroom has the feeling for a Roman amphitheater. Snow's home has that "it used to be really awesome here" look that I'd never think you could be replicated, but they owned it. The Peacekeeper Barracks is kind of cliche-ish, but it's the freaking military where cookie cutter is the order of the day. The bar where the Peacekeepers party feels like a massive honky-tonk of an earlier era where electricity wasn't really much of a thing. The Arena before the explosions looks very well done and exciting, complete to the turnstiles. Volumnia Gaul's office was eerie, creepy, disgusting and awesome. But it's after the Arena after the explosions take place where they really shine.

It was great because there were shades of Caesar Flickerman from the original Hunger Games trilogy and his comment about "The use of the rubble" in one of his favorite older arenas. There was definitely rubble in the Arena in Ballad. There were also tunnels, an arch of sorts, some fans...

It was amazeballs.

It took what would have been a truly lackluster Arena and turned it into a nightmarish land of death. This is where the darker tone really took hold and pushed the story along all on its own. I really got the feeling that you never knew who was coming from where and how things were going to change. 

And yeah, it wasn't the elaborate Arenas of the original trilogy, but it was sixty-five years earlier and that hadn't developed yet. 

The music in the flick was awesome as well. Rachel Zegler has a voice that just won't quit. I've seen stage shows from the upper balcony starring actors and actresses who didn't have voices that strong. They were impressive too. She puts a ton of emotion into everything she sings, too. The definition of good art is that it creates an emotional reaction and Zegler's voice definitely does that. She wins over the Districts, then the Capitol and at some point that Jimbo guy sitting in the theater with her voice. I was in band in high school and I have a love of great show tunes. We played them and I've seen a number of musicals because of the memories they evoke. I have a sneaking suspicion that, thirty years from now, out there somewhere, a forty plus year old former band member is going to remember The Ballad of Lucy Gray-Baird and Nothing You Can Take From Me the same way I remember Jesus Christ Superstar and Memory. Those songs are that good.

The acting was awesome as well. Tom Blyth makes an awesome Coriolanus Snow. He makes that character live like no other could have. Rachel Zegler as Lucy Gray-Baird is amazing. She goes from scared to strong to looking toward the future in a way that few others could. Viola Davis is a perfectly creepy Dr. Gaul. She needs to be. And of course Peter Dinklage is great in whatever he's in. That's just him.

In short, I loved every minute of The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. I'd go see it again tomorrow if I could. I can't wait till this thing comes to streaming so I can watch it another few times. I mean that. Snow always lands on top.

Bottom Line: 5.0 out of 5 Scared Tributes

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Lionsgate, 2023

Some item related to The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes are available for purchase at the following links. If you click the link and buy literally anything from Amazon, I get a small percentage at no additional cost to you. And, not to be that guy about it, it is Christmas time and I know you've got some shopping to do. So clicky the thingy and throw some pennies atcha boy.






No comments:

Post a Comment