Friday, September 13, 2019

Mikey Mason's M



Life as a blogger is often good. I get to read what I want and then tell the whole world (because Lord knows all seven billion people on the planet read my blog.😉) about it. Sometimes you get to interact with people whose work you admire when you wouldn't have been able to otherwise. That's awesome.

But sometimes...

Sometimes...

You send a message off to one of your favorite musical artists and offer to review his album on your blog if he will do an interview with you. And because he's an awesome person, he does. And then you realize.

OMFG DUDE! I'VE NEVER REVIEWED AN ALBUM BEFORE! I'M A BOOK AND MOVIE/TV GUY!

 

And maybe you freak out a bit because when you're a story guy, but then you listen to said music artist's podcast and he tells you that it's okay to write like shit and it hits you. "I can live up to THAT standard." I mean, I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking directly to me when he said it, but it still takes some of the pressure off. I'm breathing now and I'm pretty sure I can handle this.

In related news: Welcome to the first ever review of an album here on Jimbo's.  I'll be your only slightly flaky host. Since there is a method to my madness I'll be doing this the same way I review anthology style. This way you can all see the madness in my method.

I'm a cool guy like that.

I think.

Anyway...

I've really enjoyed Mikey Mason's M every time I've listened to it. There is more here than what I've gotten from it, too. I say that because some of these tracks relate to stories that I may not be familiar with. For example, one song is called "Letterkenny." It relates to the show which I haven't watched because *GASP* I don't have Hulu. Oddly enough though, I actually enjoy the song. The music works for me even though I don't geek out over the show. Go figure.

Speaking of which...

"Hat Full of Sky" is based on a book. I'm not even sure what book, but Mikey said it was last post. I enjoy it though. I sometimes think that Mikey writes some of this stuff and doesn't realize that it's actually uplifting. This one makes me smile for some reason. As long as I've got a Hat Full of Sky I can do anything right? And seriously, just the sentence "I'll build my wings on the way down," from his song "Build My Wings" got me through one of the worst days of my life. That sounds weird to me too, but when you're plummeting downward, well, it helps. Oops. "Build My Wings" is on another album. I don't honestly feel bad about mentioning it though. It's a good track.

"Because of You" is a break up song. We've all been there. "I'll make it through just to spite you," (It doesn't count as a spoiler if it's song lyrics, right?) is something I've actually lived. It's really up-tempo and light hearted though. I like this track and this concept. Being a single guy, I probably won't need this one for awhile, but it's good to know it'll be there if and when I do.

"Retrobituaries" is a song about people who post things that make me sad about things that happened years ago. Seriously folks, and I know Mikey agrees with me here, don't do it. And if you're confused as to why you shouldn't, or maybe if you just need a laugh, check this one out.

"Love And..." is a song that I wish I didn't identify quite so closely with. There are definitely times when I've been with a girl and exhibited signs of both love and revulsion. It usually comes right before a break-up. Dammit, Mikey, this one hit me in the feels. Good job. Probably.

"Shiny Math Rocks,"make that click clack sound.

Listen, if you're a table top gamer (or maybe if you just know and love one) and you can't relate to this one I can't help you. Especially if you play tabletop RPGs. Those of us who do all have a love/hate relationship with our dice, but if you ever want to see a tabletop gamer smile, roll your dice. BUT DON'T ROLL THEIRS OR YOU'LL INFECT THEM WITH BAD LUCK. You have been warned.

*SIGH*

Sorry, Riley.

"Letterkenny" is a song about a show I don't know anything about. but hey, if Mikey can talk about his favorite show I can relate. I mean, I may quote Star Trek or Firefly instead of Letterkenny but it's the same thing. And dude, he wants a good glass of beer. Who can't relate to the desire to have a drink?


I am a Dungeon Master, and if there is one song on the entire planet that my players want me to listen to, it's "Loot the Room". Apparently I don't give out enough treasure. My bad. At any rate, this is another one that anyone who has ever played a tabletop or computer/platform RPG or really a lot of first person shooters like Medal of Honor can identify with. We've all gotten the stuff. Sometimes we've done it without setting off the booby trap. Dude. I said sometimes.

So what are we going to do tonight, Brain? "Take Over the Room" is a Pinky and the Brain track. It doesn't get much better than that. We all loved this show back in the day, right? And now we get to love it all over again, only this time with a guitar track. YES!!!!

"Breathe" is a melancholy reminder that sometimes you just have to push through, or in Mikey's words, breathe. I know it's not easy. I tell my kids to push through things all the time and pushing is how I get through life when it gets rough. It's a good message.

"Whisper" is a love song. It's a really good one.

There are "No Happy Endings" because nothing ever ends...

I remember when I first saw the title of this song, before I had listened to it. I thought it was going to be depressing and that kind of sucked because one of the things I like about Mikey's music is that it makes me happy. I'm happy to report that I was wrong. This is absolutely an upbeat song in terms of both tempo and mood. Nothing ever ends...

Except M because this is the last track.

I like this album. I play it a lot. I'm a Lyft driver and I spend an average of like ten to twelve hours every workday in my car. As someone who rarely drinks and doesn't smoke or take anything I can get arrested for possessing, I need another way to relieve stress and get through the day and music is what does that for me. Mikey Mason, whether on M or another album, is a big help with that. I drive for a living. Go listen to a Mikey Mason track called The Button. If you can honestly listen to that track and not know why I love it you don't have a brain.

Seriously.

Anyway, buy the album. Listen to the album. Tell all of your friends about it. And when you get hooked and buy a bunch of his other stuff, don't blame me. It's all Mikey's fault.

Bottom Line: 5.0 out of 5 Guitar Picks

M
Mikey Mason
Self Published, 2019

M is available for purchase at the following link:

No comments:

Post a Comment