Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Leatherneck Reconnect Does Important Work

Yes, this is a Science Fiction and Fantasy blog. Yes, that's normally what I do. Sometimes though, there are other things that deserve the space. Other things that

*GASP*

might just be more important than a hobby. Sometimes, there are things that transcend the world of fiction. Sometimes there are people who deserve some recognition and it's up to those of us who know how to write effectively to get it for them. With great power comes great responsibility. Well, I'm not saying I'm great but I guess with pretty decent power comes a pretty decent amount of responsibility. So, here comes my chance to do something decent with my power.

Anyone who follows this blog knows that I support the US Military here. I do an annual Memorial Day event where I feature a book (this year, three books and a bonus one later) written by a member (or former member) of the US Military and featuring it in action. This country has been at war for sixteen years now. Even during peacetime they sacrifice every day to keep us safe. How many of our troops are deployed on any given day? How many of them aren't deployed but are stationed far from home? How much time do they miss with their families because they're keeping us safe? Do you know why we have a Veteran's Administration in this country? No, it's not just because the troops have earned lifelong care through their sacrifice, although they have. It's because a lot of them are broken physically. Jumping out of planes, running with a rucksack full of rocks, marching for miles carrying heavy loads and more leave them with medical problems that will follow them for the rest of their lives. Let's not forget how many have been effected by Agent Orange and Gulf War Syndrome.

So today, I'm going to do something I should have done a long time ago. I'm actually a bit embarrassed that it's taken me this long. It's time to talk about an old friend, a veteran and a man who is doing important work, even if I'm not entirely certain he realizes how important it is. Matt Dudley is a guy I went to high school with. After graduation, he went off and joined the Marine Corps, serving as a mortarman. Matt learned how to use and fire a weapon to destroy an enemy and protect his brother Marines. He served his time with honor.

But I have lots of veteran friends. I'm not here just to praise him for that. Granted, all vets deserve recognition, but I don't have that kind of time. What Matt has done is to go on tour with his buddy Mike Lose to visit his old Marine buddies and just say hi. He has documented these visits and put them online under the name Leatherneck Reconnect. What we see is a bunch of guys talking, having a good time and just being normal guys. (The Marines didn't allow women in combat roles until well after Matt finished his hitch.)

And that's why it's incredibly important. It today's world there is a movement against veterans. There are people out there who will tell you that all vets suffer from PTSD. That they can't fit in with normal society and are dangerous. Listen, I'm not here to belittle anyone who has been through something that I can't even imagine that they're not suffering. I'm just saying that it's not all of them. The majority of the members of the military are able to reintegrate into society really well.

People need to see veterans who are normal dudes. They need to see guys who have finished their hitch successfully and who are not murderous nutcases. They need to see Marines functioning in a civilian world. They need to see Leatherneck Reconnect.

I have no idea if that's what they intended. It's my interpretation of events, but it's my blog. So props to Matt and Mike for doing the right thing, whether they meant to or not. This is a seriously awesome project done at just the right time. I'm really excited to be sharing this with you because I believe in it.

I know that some of the people who read my blog are vets. This should bring back some good memories for you too. I have a sneaking suspicion that if some of you were to watch this you might end up wanting to get in touch with your old buddies as well. I hope you do. My understanding is that Matt and Mike want to get other Marines involved in their project but you'd have to contact him to make sure I'm not goofy and to find out how.

A question I've heard asked on more than one occasion is "Would you let your kid join the military?" Well, guess what, Matt did. His nephew joined too. He has done documentaries involving both his son and his nephew and their journey through enlistment and training and then through a reunion later. I don't want to spoil anything, but it does kind of hit you in the feels a couple of times. Matt did a terrific job with these.

I, being me, sent some questions to Matt about some things I wanted to add to this article and didn't give him enough time to respond before I wrote this post. As a result, he hasn't responded. Go figure. I'm hoping to get some information that I can add later, but for now this is what I have. Check back for edits once I hear back from him. My bad.

This is where to find the Facebook Page.

This is where to find the Youtube Channel.

There was an Indiegogo but it closed.

There is some information about a shirt that they're selling on the Facebook page but if they have an actual storefront somewhere, I couldn't find it. Click on the Shop Now link at the top of the page. Help these guys out. Buy their merch and keep this thing moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment