Sunday, November 8, 2020

RIP Alex Trebek




“I'll take Nerd Knowledge for $200 please” 

“The long time host of Jeopardy, he was adored by millions before losing his battle to cancer on November 8, 2020.” 

“Who was Alex Trebek?” 

Was there ever an easier question? Ya know, it's weird. When I talk about entertainment and the influences I've had I always think of Trek, Wars, Harry Turtledove, many Baen authors, etc. If I really stop and think about it (and I try not to. My mama always said that thinkin' gets you in trouble.) the three entertainers I've watched the most over the years are Pat Sajak, Vanna White, and Alex Trebec. 

As a kid growing up, if I wasn't out of the house working (I got my first job at fourteen) or at band rehearsals/performances or chasing some young lady around, etc. I was in front of my TV at seven PM and wouldn't move for an hour, because it was Wheel of and Jeopardy time. Once I wasted all of my money buying vowels, it was time to win them all back questioning answers. Some nights I owned. Some nights, I'd have been better off reading a book in my bedroom. I always had fun though. 

Jeopardy was always an awesome show, but it was also kind of weird. There have been soap operas since before there was a Jimbo. Sports have been extremely popular on both TV and radio for decades as well. Game shows have been popular basically forever as well, but... Well... The Dating Game (or the 90's equivalent Studs) and the Newlywed Game covered romance, which a lot of geekish types aren't all that comfortable with or good at. Producers of The Price is Right have admitted publicly for decades that that pick people for their enthusiasm standing in line. Screaming “Big money, no Whammies, STOP!” doesn't exactly require a nerdish IQ, although there were some very intelligent players. Even solving words on Wheel of Fortune was never really all that hard. 
But Jeopardy...  

Ah, Jeopardy. 

For Jeopardy, you have to pass a test just to get an audition. Then you have to pass the audition by proving that you can answer the questions under pressure. You can't fake your way through something like that. Anyone who has been on Jeopardy as a contestant (other than some of the celebrities) is one of ours. They're geeks, They're nerds. They're tribe. And listen, I love Pat Sajak. I had one of my earliest celebrity crushes on Vanna White. I used to go to my buddies house during my lunch hour at school to watch Bob Barker. I love Drew Carey. (I even read Dirty Jokes and Beer) Chuck Woolery is welcome to stop by any time he wants. Steve Harvey is my guy. But Alex Trebek... Alex Trebec was one of us. He was the guy who had the questions that only we could answer. 

Anyone can look at “E-T MY S - - -R T S” and know that the answer is “Eat my shorts” but how many people can give you five different “Q Foods”? Most of the guys on The Dating Game couldn't answer the question “What would we do on a date?” when they knew it was coming. Yes, your eighteen year old kid can listen to a bunch of other people bid big numbers and decide to bid a dollar, but can they regurgitate the principles of fiction in question form before the other competitors can? (And yes, I've seen questions that stumped the competitors. I always get a chuckle and remember that I'm not alone in not having all the answers.) 

I was at a con once (CONfusion in Dearborn, Michigan) and one of the panelists -I want to say it was Brandon Sanderson – made a statement to the effect that “We're nerds. We like to be experts on things.” He was right. If you can run five straight in a Jeopardy category you are an expert in that subject. Sports fans like to point to statistics to argue over who the best athlete in a given sport/at a given position were. I am here to tell you that, short of an amazing academic CV or appearing on a documentary there is no way to get better nerd cred than to say “I won an episode of Jeopardy.” We don't really care so much about total money, just the fact that you've done it. Honestly. Especially since in my case I've met more NBA Championship winners (Rick Mahorn and Tayshaun Prince) than I have Jeopardy winners (none). 

If there is a nerd heaven – and Dear Lord, I hope there is – it's going to be Alex Trebec standing at the gate. There is going to be a trivia question to get in. Don't worry, he'll know your areas of expertise, but he's still not going to let you in until you get it right and answer in question form. And when he lets you in, he'll be smiling while you hum the Jeopardy theme song. Or whistle it. I'll probably whistle the thing, but whatever works, right? The important part is just to enjoy the ride. That's what Jeopardy was really all about. People enjoying watching other people compete in an arena that many of us felt more comfortable in than we ever could on an athletic field. Prime time television will never be the same. Even though Jeopardy will continue, we've lost an icon. People my age, especially nerdish types like myself, my age have lost yet another piece of our childhood. Life will go on as it always does, but we'll still remember him. So Rest in Peace Mr. Trebek. Your fans will miss you. At least know that you were one of my two favorite Canadians. (The other one being the shooter bar girl at Jokers back in the day. I wonder if she's single...) I'll catch you on the flip side. Save a spot for me. I'll be the guy making dad jokes and sporting an Honorverse cosplay with Spock ears. I know where you'll be. A: It's former Jeopardy host Alex Trebec's natural habitat. Q: What is behind the podium? See you there, brother. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I've done the in person audition (Portland, Oregon) and they were fun both times. Still never got called, though, and still hope to one of these days. But I still spend most weekday evenings shouting answers both right and wrong at the TV. Oh, and I hate to be nitnoid about it, but you posted the same content twice.

    Also, you're costing me money. I've just read SO LITTLE AND SO LIGHT, and now I can look forward to blowing some money some more of Ms. Hoyt's works. You dirty rat you--and thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. My work here is well...

    Not done, but at least properly started.

    ReplyDelete